Sunday 13 May 2012

15 minute gaming

The past four weeks have been busy. OFSTED and the like have compelled me to aim for the esoteric percentage improvement in my performance that demands an almost absolute immersion in the work. From the outside, you would see a workaholic.

And, as I step back, I wonder what kind of person is that to bring up our kids?

During such a time, I do not like to dedicate a significant amount of my leisure time to gaming, or even to watching films. I cannot remember the last time I sat and watched an entire film. Normally, instead, I watch 15-30 minutes. My attention span is not what it used to be.

It is with this mindset that I have enjoyed the following games over the past three weeks:

Deus Ex
Total War: Call of Warhammer (and Napoleon)
Men of War: Assault Squad
Space Marine

The thing about these games is that they lend themselves very well to 15 minute gaming. Deus Ex, having already been completed, allows me to tackle a mission, or a sidequest, in that time. Unfortunately, the lack of consistency mean that my character is hardly being roleplayed - one moment he's a pious cop, the next a maverick thug. Still, it's got a great soundtrack.

Total War keeps me ticking along. There are still the usual issues of poor AI and terrible collision detection. But as a wargame, it's the best we've got right now. Can see myself dropping it when MTW3 or the like comes out.

Men of War is typically chaotic. I never feel like I have a mastery of the game, or even that I quite know what I'm doing. I also become unduly confused with its reverse mouse clicking qualities.  Ah well: still one of the best in its genre.

But Space Marine is becoming strangely compelling. Played through for 45 mins to an hour, it can become tedious. Run, roll, shoot and look at brown. However, its simplicity is also a benefit: I can jump into it in moments, and then jump out. The most ludic game I play right now, and perhaps just what I need - some play.






0 comments:

 
Design by Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Macys Printable Coupons