Sunday 7 July 2013

Tomb Raider

With the end of the year looming in earnest I find myself happily distracted by many things. The purpose of these things is to:

a) Saying goodbye to my current school.
b) Ensure that all feel that they should improve in the weeks we have left.

My gaming has become more focussed. I have for a long while wanted to game for 15-30 minutes at a time. An article on this should be written soon, but I thought that something on my completion of the latest Tomb Raider game last night is worthy of some thoughts.

The first Tomb Raider is a classic game that was constructed with ambition. Its latest in carnation is bred from such rich heritage, and it does not disappoint. Beginning with as decent a story as a platform game allows (trapped on an island), the game unwinds its gentle rhythms to ease you in. Grinding is kept to a minimum, and even then is judiciously created to balance action.

Many moments have stayed with me, most notably:

a) The easy 'trapped with wolves' scene in the thunderstorm.
b) The arduous 'navitage through a wood' parachute scene in the sun.
c) The first time you use a rope ascender to escape a burning boat.
d) Lara becoming progressively more adept in her survival skills.
e) The varied and pleasing nods to the other games, such as the infancy of a theme, and the dual wielding pistols.

There were a few puzzles that, although tricky, trapped you in a room so as you did not have to venture outside the level to solve them. I must admit that once I used an internet solution to fire an arrow into a wall (mostly because the level allowed me to venture too far and wide to focus on where I should have been going). Aside from that, the level design I think develops contemporary expectations for both pace and challenge. Such love and expertise for a seminal series shows how gaming takes itself seriously as both art and entertainment.

That statement is perhaps a little too much to say. However, this game is good - a 4.5, and worth your time. 

0 comments:

 
Design by Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Macys Printable Coupons